About Me

Park City, UT, United States
Keeping busy with one thing or another.

Thursday, October 20, 2011

Leftover Lasagna Night


I love leftover lasagna night.  Like almost every kind of soup, it's one of those foods that I think gets better as it sits. 

I've been on a bit of a mission to have some meals prepared in the freezer for those nights that I just don't feel like cooking.  As much as I love to cook, I have a job.....meaning that some nights I get home and I just want to blankly at the television.  I'll admit it.  I like to stare blankly at the television more than I should and sometimes that interferes with my desire to cook dinner....especially after a long day at work.

I digress....Last night in my mission to prepare meals to add to my 5 pounds of meatloaf in the freezer, I went for lasagna.  One pan for dinner and three for the freezer for a date that is TBD.


Lasagna can be made a million different ways....And I think it probably is.  But here is my very non-specific recipe.

Lasagna
Noodles (The kind that don't need to be boiled are AMAZING.  I wish I would have splurged on them and not had to deal with noodles sticking like crazy....otherwise, boil your noodles according to the package before using)


1/2 lb. Italian Sausage
1/2 lb. hamburger
Brown both

Add your choice of jarred spaghetti sauce (I ALWAYS use Ragu Traditional Old World Style sauce) and then I add some secret arabiatta spice mix from Italy to add a little something extra.  Simmer for a bit.

4 c. mozzarella
1/2 c. parmesan
8 oz. ricotta
8oz. cottage cheese
a couple tablespoons of basil
a tablespoon or so of oregano
a clove or two of minced garlic
a little fresh ground nutmeg
2 eggs
Mix it all together.

Then in your pan, spread a little bit of sauce and layer the bottom with noodles.  Spread half of your cheese mixture along the bottom.  Spread half of your meat and sauce mixture on that.  Then repeat that with more noodles, cheese, and meat.  Then one more layer of noodles, a little more sauce, and some more mozzarella and parmesan across the top.

Bake at 375 for a half hour covered in foil.  Remove the foil for the last ten minutes.  Let rest for a few minutes and enjoy....I'm about to enjoy some more leftovers right now.

2 comments:

  1. 2 regular size batches - split in half since we never finish a 9x13 pan....So it's not that much...

    ReplyDelete