About Me

Park City, UT, United States
Keeping busy with one thing or another.

Monday, February 15, 2010

Cliche Olympic Announcers

I've been watching Olympics all weekend.  I'm quite impressed by the things that these athletes can do - and at the speed they can do it. 

I was watching the moguls and the things that take them 24 seconds would probably take me 24 minutes.

But after listening to the announcers, I can't help but notice they say a few very obvious things -- Before every competitor goes, they say something along these lines:

"Right now he/she is thinking about how they have to ski faster than they have ever skied before."

"In order to win, they have to ski faster than , currently in the gold medal position."

"He/She can't afford to make a single mistake if they want to medal."

I'm wondering if they realize that everyone understands that.  That is how these things are won - by being the best without mistakes.  It is completely unnecessary to point that out before everyone takes their turn.  And also, while on the subject, I don't want to hear anyone say "That was a clutch performance" again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment