About Me

Park City, UT, United States
Keeping busy with one thing or another.

Monday, June 20, 2011

The Game of Golf (aka Frustration)

I never thought I would be one to golf.  I played some when I was younger.  Then I didn't play at all for a while and spent some time making fun of the game instead for a bit.  Then I met P. Fisher.  Interesting how things change when you end up married to someone who is not just a fan of the game, but is obsessed with the game.

I started playing again with P. Fisher about three years ago or so.  And I've been struggling for the last three years or so.  I have been trying (operative word) to patiently take the bad with the good.  But, I have to say that this game is nothing short of the most frustrating thing in the world and I can't figure out for the life of me why I like it. 

I digress....I've been struggling.  I've known there is potential for a while, but nothing good seemed to be happening.  I had two choices:


A) Quit--I don't really like to do things I'm not good at.
B) Suck it up, admit that it's not going to get better on its own, and get some lessons.

Much to my dismay, I opted for choice B.  I have plenty of hobbies that are much easier, involve less pain in the twisty muscles, and I already have some element of talent.  All that said, I'm still not completely sure why I'm doing this to myself.....I should probably go back to curling, reading, knitting, sewing, swimming....or any of the other things I'm good at.

Red Ledges
But, as it turns out, lessons may not have been the worst decision I ever made.  I am committed to a series of five lessons at Red Ledges (which is really a stunning display of red rock out in Heber, UT).  After an almost comedic (I didn't think it was funny, but I can see how others might) first lesson in which I was so nervous that I spent the first 50 (of 60) minutes thinking that I was going to vomit and shaking so much that I couldn't even get a ball to stay on a tee without valiant effort, this past Saturday was much better.  I didn't even feel nauseous.  That's definitely progress.

The point of all this: I'm getting marginally better.  I'm actually building up a little bit of confidence in myself--though things aren't great at the moment, I'm actually trying to make them get better.  I'm spending free time practicing.  This is an interesting phenomena for me....wanting to get better instead of just quitting like I usually do.  This is one of the first things I have started, not been good at, and then been not only willing, but wanting, to do better.  Sometimes I just need to stop being so obstinate and ask for help a lot earlier.  It would save me a lot of frustration....and maybe, just maybe, there are things out there that I am missing out on because I quit after the first try because I'm not satisfied with my performance.

No comments:

Post a Comment