About Me

Park City, UT, United States
Keeping busy with one thing or another.

Monday, October 17, 2011

Apple Dumplings.....It's a Dumpling Day for the Family

There are a few things my grandma used to make....I remember "yay thick" meat (aka Swiss steak), chicken n' noodles, peach cobbler, stuffing balls, and apple pie or dumplings.  Today, I bring you apple dumplings.  My sister and I are on the same wavelength with food sometimes.  We seem to have the same things on our mind and make the same things and then one of us beats the other to a blog.  Today, S's blog brought apple dumplings to you first.  She inspired more than one person to make apple dumplings today--I came home and made some and my cousin also made them this evening.  That's two people--that's influence.

As you  may know, I like to cook.....quite a lot.  I like baked goods....quite a lot.  But, I don't bake all that much.  As scientific as I can be, it's so precise and I prefer throwing things together most days.  The thing that amazes me is that you can take a handful of ingredients, none of which taste good on their own (apples being the exception), and turn it into delicious.

I do like the results and I have to say that these are still delicious.  Try it....you just might like it.


APPLE DUMPLINGS
Recipe from Grandma
3-4 Apples (peeled, cored, and sliced)
 
Dough:
2 c. flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
3/4 c. shortening
1/2 c milk (pour in all at once)
Mix it all together until it sticks
Sauce:
1/4 c. butter
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
2 c. sugar
2 c. cold water
Bring to a boil
Grab a little dough and put some apples in it.  Stretch the dough around the apples and put the dumpling in a pan.  Repeat until you have filled the pan.  Pour the sauce over the top and then bake at 375 for 35 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment