About Me

Park City, UT, United States
Keeping busy with one thing or another.

Sunday, January 1, 2012

New Year's Corned Beef & Cabbage

Happy New Year! 

This has been a great weekend.  I haven't had to do anything at all.  I'm not completely lazy....I've just been extraordinarily busy lately....and because of that I have taken a great deal of pleasure in my lack of obligation for the weekend.  Lots of sleep and a good book keeping me company has turned into a good couple days....and I have one more tomorrow! 

But on to the cooking...

For as long as I can remember, my family has had corned beef and cabbage on New Year's Day (St. Patrick's Day, too).  It's an Irish tradition to have corned beef, cabbage, carrots, and potatoes to bring good luck and prosperity in the new year.  So continuing in my family's Irish tradition, I got up early to make corned beef this morning.

I happened to find a recipe for crock pot corned beef a while ago....and over the course of time (I am incapable of following a recipe) there have been a few adjustments.

Chop up a medium onion, about a pound of carrots, and about a pound of potatoes.  Put it all in the bottom of the crock pot.  Rinse of 2-4 pounds of corned beef (A big one is good if you like leftovers for sandwiches) and place on top of the vegetables fat side down.  Pour a 12oz beer (Today was an IPA and it was delicious, but you can use whatever you have handy or like best.) over the top of it.  Then take your seasoning packed from the corned beef and a couple tablespoons of mustard (I prefer spicy brown) and rub it over the top of the corned beef.  Final step is to mix about 1/4 cup of brown sugar with 1 cup of water and pour over the top.  I also like to sprinkle a little bit of brown sugar on top so it caramelizes a bit on top.

Then set that crock pot to low for 10-12 hours and let the delicious smells permeate the air....If you're anything like us, you'll get pretty impatient about 6 hours in so make sure you have a snack.  (Little fruit pies are good snacks.)  And then for the last hour, add cabbage to the top.

All that is left now is to enjoy....Hope you all have a great new year! 





No comments:

Post a Comment