About Me

Park City, UT, United States
Keeping busy with one thing or another.

Thursday, March 18, 2010

Science Fiction & Fantasy Writing

Today a colleague and I were discussing books.  As you probably know by now, I love books.  I love the pages.  I love the words.  I love the smell.  I love the sound of the pages.  I really love books.  (To the point that it has become somewhat of a problem and periodically I give up purchasing books for periods of time so that I can read the ones I have.)

I will read almost anything.  Once someone makes a recommendation -- And please, leave comments with recommendations if you have any -- I will add it to my 'to read' list.

Our discussion today was the exception.

The exception to this rule is often sci-fi/fantasy....yes, the entire genre.  Though I find that when I give it a chance, from time to time, I really enjoy something from this genre.  But, when it is good, it is really good and when it is bad, it is really bad.

As mentioned in my previous post, I really enjoyed The Giver.  And there are others - Ender's Game, Harry Potter, The Martian Chronicles, Brave New World.  Some of these books top my favorites list.  On the other hand, some sci-fi/fantasy tops my least favorites list.

Sometimes I just don't understand how an entire genre can be so polarizing.  There seems to be no middle ground for me with this.  Does anyone else feel this way?

No comments:

Post a Comment