About Me

Park City, UT, United States
Keeping busy with one thing or another.

Monday, December 26, 2011

Mesa Verde = Awesome AND Carlsbad Caverns = Amazing

A preface to this post: I always thought Carlsbad Caverns were in California.  They are actually in New Mexico.

This post is long overdue.  We spent Thanksgiving in Texas.  I never thought I would voluntarily go to Texas, but in the last year, both my mother and father-in-law have migrated to San Antonio, so we went for Thanksgiving.  I will admit that Texas was better than I expected it to be.  San Antonio seems to be a fun city....not as fun as Austin from what I hear....but still fun. 

We made a bold decision to road trip from Utah to Texas rather than fly.  There were moments where I think we both may have thought it was a mistake, but it was a fun trip overall.  We decided to drive so we could visit our new niece who lives just south of Grand Junction, CO, then stop in at Mesa Verde National Park and make the rest of the trip to San Antonio on the way there.  On the way home, we planned on stopping at Carlsbad Caverns National Park. 

So to start: Mesa Verde.  It's incredible.  It's amazing all of the stories and definitely worth making the trip back when more of the trails and dwellings are open.  (October is the end of their season because of the ice so we only got to go down into one area.) I was pretty impressed with the park even in its half open state.  Then on the way back we stopped in Carlsbad, NM and saw the caves.  It was like being on another planet.  I was shocked by the caves - Truth be told, I had no idea what to expect.  I thought it was in California after all.  But this was incredible.  The pictures don't do it justice (for either park) so take my word for it and check it out for yourself.  Trust me....you won't regret it.

Mesa Verde:







Carlsbad Caverns:











No comments:

Post a Comment